We are the general contractor for rebuilding the Emperor Wilhelm II harbor which comprises a set of 4 wooden, richly decorated buildings. Our company, in addition to traditional carpentry tasks, has also completed comprehensive carpentry work.
Projects completed by us include:
- new box-shaped windows modeled to historical plans
- new doors modeled to historical plans
- all details and decorations
Immediately after completing his trip to Norway, Emperor Wilhelm II decided (1890) to implement the planned construction of a naval base at Lake Jungfern in Potsdam but not in the neo-Gothic style as it was anticipated earlier - but in "Norwegian" style.
In 1892, Munthe began the construction of the main building, located directly on the bank, i.e. the reception hall, richly embellished especially in the gable parts, thus fulfilling the emperor’s wish. The following year, a naval base was added for the imperial steamer "Alexandria". The years 1894/95 saw the erection of successive buildings modeled on a Norwegian residential house (workshop, Sailor's House, base manager's residential house).
Together with our partner company AWK Design GmBH in Potsdam, we have revitalized and rebuilt the Imperial Sea Harbor Housing Complex of Emperor Wilhelm II. The complex consists of four wooden, richly embellished UNESCO-listed buildings. The main object is the Emperor's building (Ventehalle), which was reconstructed from old engravings and postcards by our architects and craftsmen. The whole process, including arrangements and consultations with the German monument restorer, lasted 4 years. Currently, the building houses a restaurant serving exquisite dishes.
Other buildings included in the complex are the Captain House, the Sailor House and the Boat House. These objects survived the turbulent times of World War II and until the demolition of the Berlin Wall were under the jurisdiction of the GDR. Until 1989, after socialist adaptation, they served as residential buildings. Destructive changes meant that it is now necessary to dismantle buildings and rebuild them again. We use elements of the old carpentry tradition to secure elements that will be re-assembled. To this end, we subject them to phytosanitary treatment. As part of building physics, we also use modern solutions that are essential for preserving historical elements, while ensuring continued operation in accordance with modern requirements of DIM standards.
The name KONGSNAES (konge: king, naes: promontory) was only given in 1896. A further step of expansion involved the erection of a wooden arch of the entrance gate with a stylized monogram and an ornament in the form of two dragon heads. A year later, the naval base plays a key role in connection with the development of radio engineering in Germany. Between the tower of the Church of the Redeemer in Sacrow, 1.6 km away from KONGSNAES, the first successful attempts of wireless radio communication take place.
After the First World War and the abdication of William II, the use of KONGSNAES as a naval base is coming to an end. Adjacent buildings are occupied by private persons, while the reception hall, building for boat storage and the harbor are owned by various water sports associations.
After the collapse of the Berlin Wall in 1989, KONGSNAES is part of the cultural landscape and is under the protection of the UNESCO.